Do any of these fit you?
- Diabetes in your family (grandparents, parents, brothers or sisters)
- Maori, Indo-Asian, Asian, Middle Eastern or Pacific Island descent aged 30 years or older
- European 40 years of age or older
- High blood pressure
- Overweight (especially if you carry most of your weight around your waist)
- Diagnosed as having (Impaired Glucose Tolerance IGT) Pre-diabetes
Or have you had?
- High blood glucose in the past
- High blood glucose in pregnancy
- A large baby weighing more than 9lbs / 4kg, or have had gestational diabetes (diabetes during pregnancy)
Diabetes can also be caused by some drugs, diseases or genetic problems.
If you have had any of these, you should have your blood glucose tested by a health professional once every year, and make the following ‘life-style’ changes to reduce your risk
- Stay physically active and get regular daily exercise (walking is good)
- Healthy eating
- Keep your weight in a healthy range